Mulch and Compost
The City of Valparaiso works in conjunction with Porter County Recycling and Waste Reduction District to produce compost and mulch from the leaves, brush and logs collected by Public Works. These materials are taken to the Compost Site where along with yard debris from Porter County residents it is processed into mulch and compost. Diverting these materials saves landfill costs, as well as providing valuable landscape material to residents.
How to Get Mulch & Compost
Always verify the availability of mulch and compost first by calling Public Works at 219-462-4612
Self-Loading for any Porter County resident is free at the Compost Site located at 2150 W. Lincolnway.
Loading is available for any Porter County resident/business for the following rates:
- $10 per cubic yard - Loaded, residential
- $15 per cubic yard - Loaded, businesses
- Currently fees are for Compost Only.
- Loading is available Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays 9 am to 2 pm
- Only payment with check or money order can be paid at the Compost Site.
Delivery is available to city residents inside the city’s trash service area only for the following rates:
- $15 per cubic yard - Delivered, residential only
- Minimum order for delivery is two yards.
- Delivery requires prepayment by check or money order only and Permit for Delivery signed by the property owner. Please visit Public Works, 1855 Joliet Rd. 7:00am - 3:00pm, Monday - Friday to make arrangements.